Saturday, February 11

Oatie Slice Thingy

I'm part of a MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) Group here in Coshocton which is good fun (MOPS in a Nutshell). Today was our monthly meeting and it was our groups turn to provide the yummy's ... there's always something yummy to eat! 

Yesterday I spent some time baking goodies with my little chef. She loves any excuse to help out in the kitchen ... so at Christmas she got this little outfit for when she's cooking in her play kitchen!


We made a double batch of flapjack for the MOPS meeting ... flapjack in the English sense of the word! It seems like flapjack refers to two different things depending on which side of the pond you live on, like so many other things! Pancakes in America and an oatie slice thingy for the English ... that was the best way I could think of to describe it to a friend here earlier on this week!

We used the same recipe I used to use with my mum when I was little. So I guess you could say it's becoming a bit of a family tradition now. It's really quick and easy and incredibly yummy. In fact, so many people commented and asked me for the recipe this morning, that I thought it would be easier to blog it here and just write it out once!
  • 1Tbsp golden syrup
  • 3oz sugar
  • 3oz marge/butter
  • 6oz rolled oats
  • pinch salt
  1. Melt marge/butter and syrup
  2. Mix in other ingredients
  3. Put in greased or lined tin
  4. Cook for 20-30 mins - GM3/325/160 (til lightly browned)
  5. Cool slightly before cutting into slices ... don't let it completely cool as it can be harder to slice then!
This is yummy thick or thin ... so you would need to decide how you like it and choose what size of tin you want to use! Sometimes we just make the basic recipe and sometimes we add something extra ... dried cranberries and apricots, chocolate chips or raisins ... about 1/4-1/2 cup ... or once cooked and cooled, melt some chocolate and pour over the top and leave to set in the fridge for an indulgent topping. It all works!!

An addition : For my US friends ... you used to be able to get Golden Syrup at Buehler's in town, until they discontinued it. Now I have to get it from Amazon! Believe me though, it's definitely worth the effort! Here's a link to the most cost effective way to get it (as I write that is!) Lyle's Golden Syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment