Monday, June 11

My Favourite Things ...

Over the last week or so I've decided that my favourite sound has changed. Where I once may have responded 'the ocean crashing against the shore' and I still LOVE that sound, it is now officially the sound of my daughters giggling as they play together! It puts the biggest grin on my face and the warmest glow in my heart to hear them ... and what's more, it happens every single day! The photo below, taken a few months ago, illustrates the point perfectly!


When Naomi was little and a lot less mobile, Abigail literally used to roll her across the living floor and then pair of them would get the hiccups from giggling too much. (Is that a common side effect or just my two munchkins?!). Now as well as still rolling around tickling each other, Abigail sometimes charges up and down the house and Naomi, the minute she sees her big sister coming, turns and ducks ... or just collapses on the ground where she's standing in a fit of giggles! Too cute!

Thinking of my favourite sounds also made me think of my favourite smells. Freshly cut grass, the seaside, imminent rain when it's been dry for a while (especially in Africa!), and freshly baked bread. Just thinking of the smells right now is making me smile as I imagine them! Smells and sounds have a clever way of arousing the senses and bringing back memories at the same time ... powerful and sometimes totally unexpected! I love how our brain's work like that. What gets your senses buzzing?

When we moved to the States, I realised a very little dream of mine ... to own a bread making machine! How middle-aged does that sound?!! Often when we head off to church on a Sunday morning, we set the break maker (Abigail loves to help!), so that when we get home the house is filled with a totally delicious aroma of freshly baked bread which we then devour! So, in honour of one of my favourite smells, here's the basic bread recipe that we use ... and it's delicious!
  • 5 cups unbleached white flour
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 oz fresh yeast
  • 1 3/4 cups warm water
  • 4 tbsp warm milk
  1. Stick it all in the bread maker and enjoy a few hours later!! SIMPLE!
(I did discover that if I layer the ingredients, liquids and yeast first, then flour, then salt it seems to turn out better!!) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment