Thursday, January 12

Back on the Menu

About 10 years ago I cut out a recipe I wanted to try from a magazine ... about 5 years ago I got around to making it! (There is an endless supply of magazine recipes still waiting in the wings to be tried and tested in my kitchen!)

Chicken, sweet potato and coconut curry became a fast favourite of ours for adults and kids alike (it's mild enough for everyone). When we moved to Ohio, finding korma paste was a little more difficult ... so our lovely friends & family have been bringing out these two person packs from the UK which are the perfect size for this meal. One day soon I will perfect a homemade korma paste, so I don't have to wait for shipments!!


The only downside of this delicious dinner recently, has been the unfortunate after effects the following day ... in Naomi's nappy! Over the last 8 months we've only eaten it once or twice because any kind of curry's or even meals with onions while I've been nursing Naomi, have had to be off the menu! I was really excited at the end of December when she was 100% on the bottle and the 'forbidden foods' could once again be part of my repertoire again! 

There is an unwritten rule in my life that I only try out a new recipe on the family and never when we're entertaining ... just in case! For some reason I took a gamble the first time I tried out this recipe and thankfully it was a hit. In fact, every time without fail that I've cooked this for friends I'm asked for the recipe! It really is that yummy and makes approx enough for 2 adults and 2 children!

  • 1 Tsp Sunflower oil
  • 2 Tsps (or more!) mild curry paste
  • 2 boneless chicken breasts - diced
  • 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes - peeled & diced
  • 4 Tsps red split lentils
  • 300ml or 1/2 pint chicken stock
  • 400ml can coconut milk
  • 175g/6oz frozen peas (or green beans)
  1. Heat oil in deep pan/wok - stir in curry paste (about 1 min)
  2. Add chicken, sweet potato & lentils ... coat in paste
  3. Pour in stock and coconut milk
  4. Bring to boil & simmer for 15 mins
  5. Tip in peas - bring back to the boil and simmer 4/5 mins
Can be served with rice/noodles/chapati/naan etc ... enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Sometime when you are in Columbus, you might want to check out Whole Foods Market. They carry a lot of international foods that are harder to find at most American markets. It is at the same exit as the zoo. You just turn left on Sawmill instead of right. I can give you more specific directions if you decide to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Missionary Mum20 March 2012 at 23:10

    He he ... thanks Kendra ... we've found that one and World Market ... there still seems to be some things we can't get though ... our wish list is definitely shrinking though!

    ReplyDelete