Friday, October 21

Fall in a Cup

It's an absolutely beautiful time of the year here in Ohio at the moment ... blue skies and multicoloured skylines, as the trees are aglow in their golden hues. Whether you call it Fall or Autumn doesn't change the true beauty of it all ... and it's far more spectacular and longer lasting than anything we get in the UK.


We were invited to a bread bowl soup evening recently. One friend made these great bread rolls that we could the cut the centre out of ... and the rest of us brought different soups to fill them ... yum! (For the record, us Brits find it very amusing that out here you class chilli as a soup ... it's a main meal for us, usually served on a bed of rice!)

I have to be honest and admit that I've never been a huge fan of soup ... although I'm beginning to 'grow-up' and appreciate it. As the cooler weather settles in, I realise the 'cozy' feeling a nice bowl of soup can generate.

A few years ago, a South African friend in London introduced me to a yummy butternut squash soup recipe. I made it to take with us to the bread bowl soup evening (keeping it warm in my new Crockpot, of course!!) and to share with our American friends ... a truly international experience!! One of my friends took a few mouthfuls and then looked at me with a huge grin on her face and said "This is just like fall in a cup" ... which made everyone else smile too!

The recipe is below and serves 6 ... apologies for the measurements being metric to those of you who aren't used to using them. I guess as I've picked up different recipes all over the world ... the information I share will be a bit all over the place when it comes to weights and measurements!

  • 500-750g butternut squash, peeled and cubed
  • 30g butter/margarine
  • 60ml flour (1/4 cup)
  • 400ml milk
  • 400ml chicken stock
  • 3ml ground allspice
  • salt/pepper for seasoning
  • (optional fresh cream to decorate)
  1. Boil butternut, stock, allspice, salt & pepper (approx 20 mins, til butternut is tender)
  2. Mash butternut in the stock
  3. Separate pot - melt butter, add flour, then milk slowly, to make a white sauce
  4. Add white sauce to mashed butternut
  5. Puree mixture with a blender
  6. Serve and decorate with a swirl of cream!
It's really simple and yummy (even for a soup skeptic!) ... my least favourite part is peeling and cubing the butternut ... for that I smile sweetly at my husband which usually does the trick!

No comments:

Post a Comment