Tuesday, June 19

The Resolution

Yesterday at church a small group of the husbands/fathers stood together in front of their families and the rest of the congregation and made and signed a resolution. A 'stake in the ground' in their lives and the lives of their families. 

Together they had watched the Courageous Movie and over 6 weeks done the Bible study course that goes alongside it. Culminating in standing up and making the Resolution below.



THE RESOLUTION
I DO solemnly resolve before God to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children.
I WILL love them, protect them, serve them, and teach them the Word of God as the spiritual leader of my home.
I WILL be faithful to my wife, to love and honor her, and be willing to lay down my life for her as Jesus Christ did for me.
I WILL bless my children and teach them to love God with all of their hearts, all of their minds, and all of their strength.
I WILL train them to honor authority and live responsibly.
I WILL confront evil, pursue justice, and love mercy.
I WILL pray for others and treat them with kindness, respect, and compassion.
I WILL work diligently to provide for the needs of my family.
I WILL forgive those who have wronged me and reconcile with those I have wronged.
I WILL learn from my mistakes, repent of my sins, and walk with integrity as a man answerable to God.
I WILL seek to honor God, be faithful to His church, obey His Word, and do His will.
I WILL courageously work with the strength God provides to fulfill this resolution for the rest of my life and for His glory.
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. ---Joshua 24:15
It is a huge undertaking for anyone to commit to all this. The implications of it, hit you even more when you have watched the movie, which we did last week. (Tissue-fest alert! It's a really good Christian movie but very powerful and emotional ... and a box of tissues is definitely a mandatory requirement!) I have always been a Christian movie cynic putting them in the 'American' and 'Cheesy' category ... so it almost pains me to recommend it!

Why were we so interested in this in our house? My husband was one of the guys in the group who made that commitment. Each man took a few minutes to present their signed Resolutions to their families on the stage ... and there wasn't a dry eye around. I'm so proud of him for standing up for everything in the Resolution and recommitting to God, me and our girls to be all those things. Yet again I consider myself to be a very lucky girl to have married him!

No comments:

Post a Comment