Wednesday, October 19

Being a Mum

Some days being a mummy is the hardest thing in the world ... totally overwhelming. Other days they bring the greatest joys and proudest moments. Often it just depends on the day, hour, minute as to which emotion the little munchkins bring out in us ... you know exactly what I mean!

I consider it a real privilege to be a stay-at-home mum right now ... really I do. While we're in the States my visa doesn't allow for me to do anything else! It is such a treat to enjoy every moment, every day with my girlies, even if there are times I'd like to run away and take a total break from it all. I know it's a cliche but we'll never get these precious times back again and I want to make the most of them while I can.

Last year I did have the opportunity to escape for 24 hours with some other ladies to the Women of Faith conference in Columbus. It was such a great time away from the responsibilities of home, enjoying fun times and making new friends (as well as indulging on Cheesecake Factory cheesecake!!)

At the conference itself, Stephen Curtis Chapman and his wife were guest speakers and sharing the story of their family. He acknowledged what a wonderful wife and mother Mary Beth Chapman is and he sang a song he had written for her, One Heartbeat at a Time. 

I'm sure all of our husbands and children would echo the words and sentiments in this song. It really puts into perspective the reality of mummy-dom both the everyday stuff, that we think goes unnoticed, but also the fundamental truth that wherever we are, as mum's we really are changing the world one heartbeat at a time.

Be encouraged mum's ... even on a rough day we're doing a great job, carved out just for us to do. Below are just some of the lyrics to 'One Heartbeat at a Time'. Click here to find the full lyrics and a link to listen the song. (I have to admit the first time I heard it, I the tears were rolling down my cheeks ... it really hit home, in a good way ... it's beautiful!!)


You're up all night with a screaming baby 
You run all day at the speed of life 
And every day you feel a little bit less 
Like the beautiful woman you are 

So you fall into bed when you run out of hours 
And you wonder if anything worth doing got done 
Oh, maybe you just don't know 
Or maybe you've forgotten 

With every, "I know you can do it" 
And every tear that you kiss away 
So many little things that seem to go unnoticed 
They're just like the drops of rain, over time they become a river 

And you, you are changing the world 
One little heartbeat at a time 
Making history with every touch 
And every smile 

Oh, you, you may not see it now 
But I believe that time will tell 
How you, you are changing the world 
One little heartbeat at a time 

You're beautiful, so beautiful 
How you're changing the world 
How you're changing the world 

No comments:

Post a Comment