This morning me and the littlest munchkin made 31 cookies from a new recipe ... we had lots of fun. A little over 4 hours later there are now only 4 left in the kitchen ... an indication of the yumminess! There was no question as to whether this recipe is a keeper or whether it was something I would be sharing! (Just for the record, we did have visitors this afternoon, we didn't eat them all ourselves!)
It was a cookie we'd eater a couple of months ago at a friends house here in Dodoma and thought was delicious ... so really today was just confirmation of something we already knew! What I did notice mid-mixing was that it can be a dairy-free recipe, which is something that I mentioned I was searching for recently ... to stretch our repetoire for a friend here who is lactose intolerant!
We added chocolate chips this time (not for the lactose intolerant!), but walnuts and or raisins I think would taste equally as yummy ... I feel another batch coming on!
So here's the Banana Oatmeal Cookies recipe ...
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1/2 cup canola/vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups oats
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips/walnuts/raisins
- Mash banana well in a bowl
- Add oil, sugar, vanilla and mix
- Add flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon until just moistened.
- Add oats and walnuts/chocolate chips/raisins and mix well (If dough is slippery add extra flour)
- Roll into balls - smaller than a golf ball (with wet hands), flatten and place on prepared baking sheets 2 inches apart ... it is a bit fiddly!
- Bake 10-12 minutes until lightly browned at 175/350/GM4
- Cool for 2 minutes then transfer to a rack
We made about 30 cookies with these ingredients but ... just remember though one batch might not be enough!