Friday, June 14

Childhood Fads

I think most parents can appreciate the sentiment when I say my munchkins fill me with both deep joy and never-ending frustrations ... often simultaneously!

One think that can both crack me up and make my blood boil are the little phases they go through.

This is what I'm talking about ... and I don't mean a one off occurrence, I mean a couple of days, weeks or in some cases, even months (I can almost hear some of you nodding along in agreement already) ... things like ...

I want to stay in the bath forever
I don't want to get in the bath
I only want to wear dresses
I only want to wear t-shirts
I just want to read my books and do nothing else
I don't like reading
I can't go anywhere without this toy
I don't like that toy, take it away from me
I want to wear my hair in a ponytail
I don't want anything in my hair
I don't like tomatoes
I only want to eat tomatoes
I don't want to go to bed
I don't want to get out of bed
I really want to play with my sister
I don't want to play with my sister

The list just goes on and on and on!!!

And then of course there are three of my particular favourites ...

No No No No No
Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine
Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

Recently we had an interesting one with Naomi which lasted quite a few weeks, almost to the point when I did begin to wonder if this was a permanent habit, rather than just a phase. She has always been a good eater but she started getting a little bit more picky.


Her little 'fad' was this ... she would only eat yellow things! No I'm not joking! Bread and butter, crisps ('chips' to my US friends), cheese, potato, pasta, pineapple, banana. If it's a food and it's available here in Dodoma and it's yellow, then there is a strong possibility that Naomi was happily munching away at it and nothing else during that period!

It seems that wherever you live in the world your children will go through their little phases. Some are definitely more amusing than others!

No comments:

Post a Comment